Cardinal and White

The Student News Site of Whittier High School

Cardinal and White

Cardinal and White

Tranquillity collage
Tranquillity collage
April 29, 2024
Lucky poem
Lucky poem
April 24, 2024
Slide 1
The Prom Dance
April 17, 2024

Halloween Movie Review

A review of the Retro Film review of John Carpenters “Halloween” (1978)
Halloween Movie Review

“It’s Halloween, Everyone’s entitled to one good scare”

✭✭✭✭✭ (5 stars out of 5) – Halloween (1978)

Compared to modern-day horror films, John Carpenter’s “Halloween (1978)”, transports us back to the day in age where adolescents put white sheets over their faces to mimic ghosts & where colorful monster masks roamed the streets for candy. The film revolves around our main protagonist, Laurie Strode, played by Jamie Lee Curtis who plays the role of a distressed teenage babysitter that manages to survive the night & protect the two children she is watching over from “The Boogeyman”. Unaware of his intentions, Laurie struggles to stay alive not knowing that she is the long-lost daughter of the “Myers family” known for the infamous murder of 17-year old Judith Myers who was murdered by the cold hands of her 6-year old brother Micheal Myers on the Halloween night of 1963. “The Shape” (Micheal Myers) has become one of the most iconic horror icons in cinematic history with the pale white blank facial expression, the discolored blue mechanic suit & classic silver butcher knife. This film is what started many of the cliche elements that we have in other slasher films like Wes Cravens “Scream (1996)” & Sean S. Cunningham’s “Friday the 13th (1980)”. 

* * *

Overall, this is a film that I recommend you see at least once in your lifetime with any friends who are interested in the slasher genre of horror. It really does help set up the mood for the halloween season to roll upon us…hitting us with a nostalgic feeling from the graininess of the film to the loud cheesy jumpscare cues. Definitely, this is a go-to film since it isn’t as gorey, too violent or disturbing as modern films.