Cardinal and White

The Student News Site of Whittier High School

Cardinal and White

Cardinal and White

Tranquillity collage
Tranquillity collage
April 29, 2024
Lucky poem
Lucky poem
April 24, 2024
Slide 1
The Prom Dance
April 17, 2024

Local Business Spotlight

Local Business Spotlight

As Whittier High School students, we are lucky to be a short walk away from a plethora of unique small businesses and restaurants. One of the most unique by far is Midnight Books, a radical bookstore on Greenleaf Avenue that strives to bring people of all communities together. The store specializes in radical texts and carries books with important stories of people of color, LGBTQ+ experiences, historical figures and more. Midnight Books spotlights local authors and artists by giving them the chance to share their work at open mic nights held right in the shop. The owner of the bookstore, Gabriel Sosnowski, highly encourages Cardinals to attend the regular poetry, art, political education, and pride events that happen there. When asked what his favorite books in the store are, he answered “Dried Lavender & Sage by Julia Rae Rodriguez, Insumisa By Viva Padilla, and Organize, Fight, Win By Dr. CBS and Jodi Dean”. The store is a fantastic place for anyone who is looking to branch out with their reading and get educated on unrepresented peoples and problems. It’s also perfect for anyone who wants to express themselves and be welcomed with open arms by fellow artists. In addition to the remarkable selection of interesting books to read and events to attend, Midnight Books has other ways of serving the community. There is a community fridge and free pantry in the store with free food for anyone who needs it and a donation box for different organizations. Midnight Books is absolutely worth a stop to check out the books, art, and community events. You can find all extra information on their Instagram: @midnightbooksla